More bad dependencies

John Thacker thacker at math.cornell.edu
Mon Jun 21 01:09:44 UTC 2004

gstreamer-plugins also depends on gtk+, when it shouldn't.  After doing
some digging, ldd revealed that the offending file is
/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.8/libgstdvdec.so , the libdv decoder.

Doing more digging, I discovered that that's because libdv's pkgconfig
file, /usr/lib/pkgconfig/libdv.pc , incorrectly claims that it requires
glib and gtk+.  Actually, the only thing that requires GTK+ is the
playdv tool that we ship in libdv-tools.  However, a bug in libdv
source causes it to pick up those requirements for its pkgconfig file.

This has been discussed on the libdv mailing lists, with a patch here,
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=4431792&forum_id=5458

and the patch incorporated into upstream CVS:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/libdv/libdv/libdv.pc.in

This patch should be incorporated until the next upstream release.
If we fix this, we can revert the change in Bug 123367 to add gtk+-devel
to libdv-devel's dependencies.  As an added bonus, it will eliminate
the bogus gtk+ and glib dependencies from gstreamer-plugins, and anything
else which uses libdv, once gstreamer-plugins is rebuilt.

John Thacker