More bad dependencies

John Thacker thacker at math.cornell.edu
Mon Jun 21 02:24:23 UTC 2004

On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 09:37:23PM -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> Excellent, thanks.  I was just looking at this yesterday and then got
> distracted before really digging into libdv.  New libdv with the patch
> built and building gstreamer-plugins now.

Great.  That brings down further the number of gtk+ depending packages.
I'm aware of:

mtr-gtk and nmap-frontend, both frontends to terminal network analyzing
packages, which honestly shouldn't be difficult to port

system-config-proc, which is a RedHat package

xmms, which has been really slow to even start porting to gtk2, but
an outside group forked it to a gtk2 version:
http://beepmp.sourceforge.net

gnucash, and the host of GNOME1.4 packages that are now only required
for gnucash.  (gtkhtml1, Guppi, gnome-libs, and a bunch of others
with interlocking dependencies)  They've been working on a GTK2 and
GNOME2 port for a while, although they would appreciate any help.

and various assorted things like gdk-pixbuf and gtk-engines that are
essentially part of gtk+ itself.

Many people on the list have talked about removing inessential packages
and so forth, especially from the default install.  Hopefully soon
GNOME1.4 and maybe also gtk+ can be removed from the defaults.
I'd like to nominate it as a goal for FC3, but it really depends on
gnucash; everything else is probably fairly easy.

John Thacker