Rawhide signatures

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Wed Jun 23 03:18:41 UTC 2004

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 03:45, Colin Walters <walters at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 12:21 -0400, Elliot Lee wrote:
> > There is a Fedora rawhide key (key ID 1CDDBCA9 I believe), but it's
> > really not practical right now to sign the packages, because the rawhide
> > push is completely automated, and signing requires manually entering a
> > password.
>
> Well you can certainly provide the passphrase programatically, something
> like:
>
> echo "my passphrase" 1>&3 | gpg --passphrase-fd=3 ...

Why not just have a GPG key with no pass-phrase?  I've just done a quick test
and it seems that gpg 1.2.4 does not prompt for a pass-phrase if the key was
created without one.

There seems to be no benefit to having a pass-phrase on a key that's used for
automatic operation as anyone who can get the secret key can get the
pass-phrase in the same manner.