packages that BuildRequire: gettext that need to change to gettext-devel

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Wed Jun 23 09:29:41 UTC 2004

Hi,

I'm the guy responsible of having made GStreamer use autopoint in the
first place.
(Note, I'm not sure why you guys need to regenerate build files again,
as it stands there are enough redhat- or semi-redhat-developers that
have good connections to get GStreamer fixes pushed into cvs easily).

> I looked at autopoint, and it should be reasonably easy to get rid of its
> use of CVS by doing a checkout from archive.tar.gz at package build time
> rather than runtime. Is autopoint even used at all?

It's not, and the reason it's not is because hardly anyone knows it
exists.  But, it is far better than doing gettextize --copy --force
which long was the only option.  gettextize overwrites stuff, messes
with files that should only be messed with by maintainers, and not
programs, copies a bunch of m4's every time, and so on.  It's the
bruteforce approach, advocated to be run only once for a cvs project,
with the results being copied to cvs.

Sadly it doesn't really work well when developers, as is common, have
different versions of autotools and friends.

Autopoint is a lot more elegant, integrating a lot better with
autotools.

When I have some free time I'll work on having the bastard son
glib-gettextize also do it, or drop everything it's doing and make sure
it just uses gettext stuff.

Thomas

I feel like I'm at something you always say you need more time
Well I'll stay right here and I'll wait for good
until I find a love worth mine