message from ldconfig

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Wed Jun 23 17:19:48 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 01:14:59PM -0400, John Ellson wrote:
> How about the other problem that was highlighted by this bug:  the
> excessive invocations
> of  /sbin/ldconfig by rpm causing rpm to run like molasses ?

I don't think ldconfig invocations slow things down as you describe.
If the lib directories are in caches, /sbin/ldconfig takes like 100msec.
Not running ldconfig after each installed rpm with shared libraries
might cause an installation problem - some libraries needed by rpm
scriptlets could be not found.

	Jakub