No more kernel-source(code) ??? (was: rawhide report: 20040623 changes)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Jun 23 23:23:38 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 07:20:32AM -0400, Build System wrote:
> kernel-2.6.7-1.448
> * Mon Jun 21 2004 Arjan van de Ven <arjanv at redhat.com>
>
> - make kernel-doc and kernel-sourcecode builds independent of eachother
> - disable kernel-sourcecode builds entirely, we'll be replacing it with documentation
>   on how to use the src.rpm instead for building your own kernel.

We just recently had the discussion of how many documented processes
will get broken with the kernel-source -> kernel-sourcecode
change. Not having it at all doesn't really improve that. ;)

What's the idea behind this? And what about people building external
kernel modules? For the reasons outlined in the previous thread on
this /lib/modules/`uname -r` is not adequate for that. Having the
kernel-source package change its name is one thing we can adapt
to (even though it was not necessary). Having it disappear for the
face of earth is another :(

Please, get it back!
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net