No more kernel-source(code) ??? (was: rawhide report: 20040623 changes)

Chris Kloiber ckloiber at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 23:44:15 UTC 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 01:23:38 +0200, Axel Thimm <axel.thimm at atrpms.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 07:20:32AM -0400, Build System wrote:
> > kernel-2.6.7-1.448
> > * Mon Jun 21 2004 Arjan van de Ven <arjanv at redhat.com>
> >
> > - make kernel-doc and kernel-sourcecode builds independent of eachother
> > - disable kernel-sourcecode builds entirely, we'll be replacing it with documentation
> >   on how to use the src.rpm instead for building your own kernel.
>
> We just recently had the discussion of how many documented processes
> will get broken with the kernel-source -> kernel-sourcecode
> change. Not having it at all doesn't really improve that. ;)
>
> What's the idea behind this? And what about people building external
> kernel modules? For the reasons outlined in the previous thread on
> this /lib/modules/`uname -r` is not adequate for that. Having the
> kernel-source package change its name is one thing we can adapt
> to (even though it was not necessary). Having it disappear for the
> face of earth is another :(
>
> Please, get it back!
> --
> Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net

While I'm far from an expert, the headers needed to build 3rd party
modules are now packaged with the kernel proper (that's one reason
it's taking so long to install a new kernel nowadays). The
kernel-sourcecode package is sort of redundant as the actual source is
in the kernel*.src.rpm anyway, but can be built (as i did) by editing
the kernel-2.6.spec and changing the line near the top to say "build
sourcecode=1" instead of 0.

--
Chris Kloiber