No more kernel-source(code) ??? (was: rawhide report: 20040623 changes)

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Thu Jun 24 21:52:28 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 00:29, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> > > we're having the discussion now right?
> >
> > after the fact.
> >
> > Not exactly likely to go back to the way it was, is it?
>
> rawhide is for experimenting and for solliciting comments and see if and why
> people care. It's 10x easier to discuss a change when the result is visible
> instead of theoretical discussions about something that sort of kinda will be like this.

While doing and asking forgiveness later is the usual internal Red Hat
(TM) way.. it doesnt fit into any community other than a dictatorship..
and a harsh one at that. To put it bluntly, you either want input from
the community or you dont. Doing it first and then asking for discussion
ends up with both sides being defensive (as in this and previous cases)
and by the time it is all worked out a lot of pissed off people on both
sides really dont want to work with each other anymore.

Basically you are going to lose 3-4 days 'defending' why it had to be
done, when it could have taken 3-4 days to say this is what we want to
do, what can we do to make it work with you. Same amount of time lost..
just not as many tempers.

Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Lab  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 4-0645
-- Please, I have had too much of the stupid today. Please wait until
-- tomorrow to say these things so my tolerance has refreshed.