GFS over a wan? was: Status of GFS licensing/availability?

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at matchmail.com
Fri Jun 25 01:13:38 UTC 2004

Matias Feliciano wrote:
> Le jeu 24/06/2004 à 22:10, Havoc Pennington a écrit :
>
>>We put this out today it looks like:
>> http://www.redhat.com/software/rha/gfs/
>> http://sources.redhat.com/cluster/
>>

> In short :
> Great good news !

I know anything can be forced to work over a WAN, but is GFS a good
choice for this purpose?

I've been looking at OpenAFS for this, but the failover for the one
writer in the  "one read-write/many read-only" model doesn't look very
strong as well as the "always grant" locking and lack of inter-directory
hard links and generally non-posix semantics doesn't make it look like
the best choice either. :-/

Is GFS only for SAN style shared-storage clusters?