No more kernel-source(code) ??? (was: rawhide report: 20040623 changes)

Leonard den Ottolander leonard at den.ottolander.nl
Fri Jun 25 12:18:07 UTC 2004

Hi Jeremy,

> SMP modules are different from the non-SMP ones, but that's not a
> problem as you can install kernel-smp in parallel with your main kernel
> package.  The i586 vs i686 part is the hard one.
>
> Personally, I think that having a kernel-devel package that puts the
> headers somewhere with both the `uname -r` and arch as part of the path
> would be useful.

This all sounds very much like looking for a solution after the fact.

Set aside the technical issues this "accomplished facts" policy does not
speak very well for the willingness to involve the community in decision
making, or even involving the community in discussing technical issues
and notifying possible problems before a change is made. This rather
fundamental change has not even been pre announced. This has nothing to
do with the way a community project should work.

Leonard.