More bad dependencies

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Fri Jun 25 18:08:51 UTC 2004

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 00:26:51 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> We have to be a little bit more aggressive with losing some backwards
> compatibility packages or else we're going to be at 6 CDs and 2 DVDs
> before much longer :)

Actually I'd say that you should simply be dropping non-core packages from
the CD set, ie random 3rd party apps like the Gimp, emacs, games,
whatever. OK so maybe not the Gimp but you get the idea :)

GTK 1.2 (could people please be explicit about that, at first I thought
someone was actually advocating removing GTK 1.2 AND 2 altogether!) is
definitely used by a bunch of oldish programs, especially proprietary
software and is therefore very much needed for backwards compatibility.
I'd say that users are going to experience far less pain by maintaining
good backwards compat than by having to install Gimp via yum, or by
downloading an Extras ISO.

Microsoft are the gold standard when it comes to backwards compatibility.
It's a significant card in their hand. We should probably start trying to
match them.

thanks -mike