No more kernel-source(code) ??? (was: rawhide report: 20040623 changes)

Arjan van de Ven arjanv at redhat.com
Sun Jun 27 17:20:30 UTC 2004

> The only problem with using a kernel-devel package is the same problem
> the kernel binary suffers from right now, dealing with situations like
> parallel installs of i586 and i686. The only potential solution to
> this problem has been to have kernel-devel include build information
> for ALL arches for the given kernel release. Several people have
> brought this up, but I've seen very little to no discussion on the
> potential downsides to piling in all the arches into one kernel-devel.

well you first would need to show it's possible and future proof....

right now we put the info in /lib/modules/../build *after* building that
exact kernel, and there's a good reason for that: the kbuild system
assumes a fully built tree. Now in the rpm we cheat and effectively
remove the files we don't need. And *maybe* now that doesn't depend too
much on the build results, but if you enable modversions for example it
already does. And some of the kbuild proposals on lkml also go in the
general direction of not being able to get all the needed info without
doing a full build.....

Having a separate kernel-devel src.rpm which is made *after* the build
takes all this mess away since it can just take the right headers from
the actual packages.