Packaging: Where to install demo apps to?

Gérard Milmeister gemi at bluewin.ch
Tue Jun 29 08:59:49 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 10:51, Gérard Milmeister wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 09:59, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am preparing a package for submission to Fedora.US/Fedora Extras. This
> > package comes with a couple of demo applications I plan to put into a
> > separate sub-package.
> >
> > Where to install these applications to on FC?
> > What do Fedora conventions recommend?
> >
> > IMO, they should not be installed to bindir (/usr/bin), because these
> > applications are "not really useful".
> >
> > Installing them to datadir (/usr/share) or pkgdatadir
> > (/usr/share/<package>) also does not seem appropriate, because these
> > files are architecture dependent.
> >
> > Remains $libexecdir/<package>.

$libexec only contains binaries that are never invoked directly, but
only through another program. So this is not the correct place to put
demos in. If there is a large number of demo apps, you could put them
into /usr/lib/<packagename>/demos, so as not to pollute /usr/bin.

--
Gérard Milmeister
Tannenrauchstrasse 35
gemi at bluewin.ch