include php-imap in FC2 (bug #115535)

Angles Puglisi angles at aminvestments.com
Wed Mar 3 04:16:44 UTC 2004

Speaking as someone who has had to replace (some of) php-imap with pure php
code, I observe that the "insecure" c-client problems would apply more to an
actual uwash imap server, not so much to a subset of the c-client code used
only in a client.

The php-imap extension is not a server. Any script kiddie can smack on a
uwash server, but to exploit a _client_ using a portion of that code, would
seem to be much more tricky. It seems like a special malware server, or
specially crafted malware emails, would need to be used and then a php-imap
client would need to connect to and/or request such malware in order for the
client to be exploited, and even this might depend if php-imap were using POP3
or IMAP (it uses more c-client code for POP3). Not impossible of course, but
different from server considerations.

I understand the issues around the need to maintain the c-client code, but do
remember we are talking about a client that accesses a server accorrding to
RFC standards, we are not providing a server. If this mitigates the effort
required to maintain the c-client (since it will not be a server) then maybe
that helps.

AFAIK, redhat / fedora has generally provided the easiest to install php-imap
(and php in general) packages around.

--
That's "angle" as in geometry.
www.anglemail.org