A friendly reminder from translators

Sarah Wang sarahs at redhat.com
Tue Mar 2 22:55:16 UTC 2004

Miloslav Trmac wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 09:04:17AM -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
>
>>Normally the process is that the translator does
>>
>>	msgmerge old.po application.pot > new.po
>>
>>edits new.po if needed and then commits that back as the updates.
>
> The traditional process for RHL is AFAIK that the developers do the
> msgmerge and commit po files back to CVS.

I'm in favour of this approach. PO file updating process should be as
automated as possible. It will help to make sure all po files are
consistent and most up to date. It will also encourage translation
participation. Manual merge should only be used in case of file conflicts.

> Changing this to the GNOME-like "developers don't care as long as
> translators have commit access and don't break anything" style
> is something I'd like to propose later, if I find the time to work on it.

I don't really agree with "developer don't care" attitude. I believe
developers should have internationalization process in their mindset.
After all, the world we are living in is getting increasingly globalized
- can we afford not to think outside of the square we live in?

The automation process wouldn't be so difficult to implement either. All
we need is a script that is automatically triggered whenever a new pot
file is committed. The script then do a cvs up and msgmerge to all
existing po files in the directory.

Regards,

Sarah