FreeWnn Status?

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Thu Mar 4 07:27:56 UTC 2004

    KGR> I'm doing a package audit, and I'm trying to track
    KGR> down specific reasons for various packages being
    KGR> depreciated over the years.

    KGR> FreeWnn is currently in FC1, but there are other
    KGR> associated packages which seem to have disappeared
    KGR> after RH8, specifically cWnn, kWnn, and tWnn.

    KGR> I read the RH9 release notes, and spent around an
    KGR> hour googling for the above packages, but could
    KGR> find nothing explaining why they have gone.

Basically the Chinese, Korean and Traditional Chinese Wnn
servers were removed because it was thought that they were
not being used by CK users at all.  A few people still use
the Japanese Wnn server, which FreeWnn still provides in the
form of jserver.  (Though FreeWnn is getting close to
deprecation status already - it will be turned off by
default for Japanese installs in FC2 or at least that is the
plan.)

(The spec file is still able to build cwnn, kwnn and twnn if
necessary fwiw, but that is probably more than you want to
know. :)

Jens