Logrotate RFE (2)

Doncho N. Gunchev mr700 at globalnet.bg
Thu Mar 4 16:05:11 UTC 2004

On Thursday 04 March 2004 16:27, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> Harry Putnam wrote:
> > Are we really sure this is such a good idea?  I don't see any real
> > advantage over the old way.  And I'm probably not the only one who has
> > home-made tools that depend on the current naming system.
> >
> > Seems like adding the date stamp is only dubbling the info already
> > available in long ls output.
>
> I'm also a little skeptical if this is a good feature. And not just
> because I would have to hack my beautiful rotation-handling routines in
> epylog. :)

    This can be solved easily with symlinks I think, right?

> Can someone describe the actual benefits?
>
> Regards,
> --
> Konstantin ("Icon") Ryabitsev
> Duke Physics Systems Admin, RHCE
> I am looking for a job in Canada!
> http://linux.duke.edu/~icon/cajob.ptml

    I see at least 3:
	- you get better idea when the logfile was last used
	- can be sorted easily (instead of log.1 log.10 log.11 log.2 ...)
	- rsync/whatever will save a lot of traffic.
    This is enough for me, if you need more I guess you can find out why
SuSE have implemented it.
    Maybe it would be better to have this as an option first...

--
Regards,
  Doncho N. Gunchev    Registered Linux User #291323 at counter.li.org
  GPG-Key-ID: 1024D/DA454F79
  Key fingerprint = 684F 688B C508 C609 0371  5E0F A089 CB15 DA45 4F79