rpm / gpg key question.

Erik LaBianca erik at totalcirculation.com
Thu Mar 4 22:37:58 UTC 2004

I'm trying to include documentation for gpg signature checking in my
quickstart guide at http://www.ilsw.com/~erik/fedora-qa-quickstart.html.

I'm not sure why this isn't working, but maybe someone can help me.

I run rpm --checksig on a package and get

rpm --checksig perl-Example-Package-1.0-0.fdr.1.src.rpm
perl-Example-Package-1.0-0.fdr.1.src.rpm: (SHA1) DSA sha1 md5 (GPG) NOT
OK (MISSING KEYS: GPG#GPG_KEY_ID)

So I run

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key GPG_KEY_ID
gpg -a --export GPG_KEY_ID > /tmp/key && sudo rpm --import /tmp/key &&
rm /tmp/key

and now rpm -qa gpg-pubkey* reports a bunch of keys.

However, rpm --checksig still fails. Why?

In addition, in trying to make this work, rpm now has several copies of
the same key installed. In addition, since they are duplicate, trying to
remove one with sudo rpm -e gpg-pubkey-version-release fails, saying

error: "gpg-pubkey-54b2ad8b*" specifies multiple packages

What gives?

Thanks

--erik