In the service of Aunt Tillie -- Zero-configuration networking

Stuart Cheshire cheshire at apple.com
Wed Mar 10 02:16:22 UTC 2004

fedora-devel-list digest, Vol 1 #475 - 13 msgs" instead of "Re: In the

Stephen Smoogen wrote:

>A $50 ethernet printer would be cool since most of the ones I see are
>always 200 more than the regular printer. A 802.11 would be ok until
>people started paying kids to drive by and 'fax' you the latest sales
>items.

Security is IMPORTANT! Sadly, too few vendors care at all ("We recommend
our products are only used behind a firewall" -- whatever that means).
I'll say no more on the subject.

>Well point me to the source, I will try to make a fedora.us RPM and put
>it in the cooker by Friday or so.

<http://developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/rendezvous/>

Check out top-of-tree mDNSResponder module from CVS. (Follow the
instructions labeled "For APSL projects.")

cd mDNSPosix
make os=linux
sudo make install os=linux

Then cd ../Clients and make to build a simple client showing how to use
the APIs.

Stuart Cheshire <cheshire at apple.com>
 * Wizard Without Portfolio, Apple Computer, Inc.
 * www.stuartcheshire.org