Usability: setting printer paper size

Fred New Fred.New at microlink.ee
Mon Mar 15 10:10:08 UTC 2004

Esmaspäeval, 15. märtsil, 2004 a., kell 00.10, kirjutas Tim Waugh:

> On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 11:59:34PM +0200, Fred New wrote:
>
> > I realize it is probably a driver-level problem, but it would be
> > more useful if system-config-printer (GUI) would allow me to set the
> > paper size during the "add printer" operation.  This parameter is
> > currently set covertly and I can only change it afterward by editing
> > the printer's driver properties.  There are a lot of us out here who
> > don't use "letter".
>
> This is intended to be set to the right thing (as specified in your
> locale) already, but there are some drivers that have weird names for
> the paper sizes.
>
> Please could you file a bug and include the output of 'locale'?
>
> Thanks,
> Tim.
> */

Thanks, Tim.  I can see MY problem now and it is probably not a bug (in FC1, that is; FC2T1 is at home).  My System Settings -> Language is set to English, so my locale shows "en_US.UTF-8" for everything, including LC_PAPER.  If I change the Language to Estonian, everything changes to "et_EE.UTF-8" and the printer setup gives me A4.  This would probably be okay for Aunt Sigrid.

Still, it would be useful if I could set my locale to Estonian and still use English.

Studying further...

Fred