CD burning in FC2 - is it easier?

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Thu Mar 18 16:24:40 UTC 2004

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 04:43:34PM +0200, Marius Andreiana wrote:
> > battled last week with SELinux on Fedora Core 2, which won't currently
> > let you burn CDs unless you're root.  That's a bug though that the
> > SELinux guys are working on.
> thanks. I knew kernel 2.6 doesn't require scsi emulation anymore (and
> therefore no root password). But I guess applications (like gtoaster)
> have to be adapted to use this?

You can't allow applications to issue raw commands without privileges
by either interface. Not using ide-scsi makes it much easier to handle
IDE burning - because the device has one name, but doesn't really deal
with the fact that scsi level command access allows you to do stuff like
'erase firmware', which normally suggests root only is good )