/etc/ld.so.conf.d

Leonard den Ottolander leonard at den.ottolander.nl
Fri Mar 19 17:50:55 UTC 2004

Hello Nils,

> I think we'd need to somehow be able to influence the order in which
> files from /etc/ld.so.conf.d are drawn. Perhaps the files in there
> should be named something like ${prio}-${name}.conf, e.g.
> '50-xorg-x11.conf'. The question is what to do when the admin wants to
> change the ordering -- when renaming the file, it isn't covered by
> package management any longer. Perhaps encoding the ordering/priority in
> the file itself might do the trick, but that opens just another can of
> worms on the implementation side.

The initscripts use (unowned) symlinks for this. Not sure how that is
implemented exactly, but something analogous to that should be
implementable.

Otoh, is a directory /etc/ld.so.conf.d not somewhat overkill as a
replacement for a file the size of /etc/ld.so.conf? (Maybe I am unaware
of changes in FC 2 that affect this.)

Regarding the question how packages should add the directories they
place their libraries in to /etc/ld.so.conf, that seems quite easy: Scan
for the existing line, and if not add it to the end. Since old packages
probably don't depend on new packages there should be no issues when
include dirs are added at the end of the list.

If needed a scriptlet that reorders these entries according to root's
insights should be easy to implement.

Leonard.