X11 and WinKey [was Re: Updating to xorg-x11 packages?]

Felipe Alfaro Solana felipe_alfaro at linuxmail.org
Tue Mar 23 08:14:31 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-23 at 07:42, Eric Hattemer wrote:

> Another fun 'growing pain' is that /usr/X11R6/lib magically disapears
> from /etc/ld.so.conf.  That was a fun one to figure out.

It's fixed in latest xorg-x11 packages:

* Wed Mar 17 2004 Mike A. Harris <mharris at redhat.com>
0.0.6.6-0.0.2004_03_11.6

- Added new rpm pre scripts for the libs, Mesa-libGL, and Mesa-libGLU
packages
  which add _x11libdir to ld.so.conf if it is missing, and then run
ldconfig,
  in order to work around a race condition in the XFree86-libs-4.3.0-64
and
  older XFree86-libs packaging which could cause _x11libdir to be
removed
  from ld.so.conf when other packages are still using it, including
xorg-x11,
  causing upgrades to fail (#118448)

However, what seems to be broken now is the use of shortcuts using the
WinKey in KDE. For example, in the past I was able to assign Win+K to
the Kill Window shortcut. However, now I cannot do that: when trying to
assign Win+K to Kill Window shortcut, I press the WinKey and it seems to
be recognized, but combining it with the 'K" key simply tries to assign
'K' as the keyboard shortcut which is not allowed, of course.

Anyone else?