Udev on /dev, Udev and selinux

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg2 at cornell.edu
Tue Mar 30 03:21:10 UTC 2004

I'd like to ask for some help. I'm trying to test selinux, but selinux
won't work with devfs, so I've decided to finally get rid of it and
replace with udev. However, that's rather difficult to do.

First, why does the udev startup script declare its own udev_root and
not respect /etc/udev/udev.conf? Why are the nvidia devices not part of
the udev startup script (since they're widely used, and not yet in sysfs)?

Secondly, I tried creating static /dev/console and /dev/null so that I
can even get to the udev script - I placed it at the beginning after
proc and sys are mounted. However, the root filesystem at this point is
read-only, and the udev script doesn't create the nodes. I could make it
run on ramfs, but then how could I make static /dev/console and
/dev/null? ... and how could I use the selinux policy over ramfs -
that's why I'm getting rid of devfs in the first place.

Why does the udev stop script proceed to remove my static
/dev/console and /dev/null, which it did not create?

Is there any progress on placing udev in initramfs where it's supposed
to go eventually?