Thoughts on Eric Raymond's Insights

Tony Grant tony at tgds.net
Tue Mar 2 13:08:04 UTC 2004

Le mar 02/03/2004 à 11:24, Tim Waugh a écrit :

> > Upgrading wiped all the cups folders especially the one containing the
> > windows ppd files...
> >
> > So much as I hate to say it I have to go along with ESR on this one.
>
> You have to file bugs, or these things won't get fixed.  Can't fix
> things we don't know about!

I wasn't sure that this was a bug... I am the kind of user who blames
himself first then looks for solutions and bugs people as an extreme
last resort (as in the case of broken fedora 2.6.1 -> kernel that
prevents Vmware 3.2.x from working).

> This is the first time I've ever heard of this.  Please file a bug
> report, and say in it what method you used for
>
> a) installing cups in the first place

Ftp install of Redhat Linux 9.0 - cups is standard print driver if I
remember.

> b) setting up printers

Used the web interface + instructions on how to install the adobe driver
for windows so manual configuration of smb.conf and manual edit of
cups.conf. The printer was visible as ipp printer in Mac OS X.

> c) upgrading

yum update to Fedora Core 1 when it came out.

The gnome configuration tool and the web interface create two different
config files. Local printing and desktop printing work just fine. But I
have Windows NT in Vmware and a Windows 2000 client (other half's work
machine) and a Mac running OX X 10.2.x which can't connect.

cups may be a very cool replacement for lpd but it is not easy to set up
and run in mixed environnement. The docs suck but that is not your
fault. The gnome setup interface shows promise but printer sharing does
not work as advertised... Sorry.

Cheers

Tony Grant

--