Thoughts on Eric Raymond's Insights

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Tue Mar 2 13:24:29 UTC 2004

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 12:07:13AM -0800, Jonathan M. Gardner wrote:
> I see your point. I'll do an experiment at home. I have a lovely wife who
> hates computers but uses them anyway. Are there any volunteers for a
> project that would be willing to take the results of a usability study
> seriously?

Its one thing that new users do well, sometimes inadvertantly but then
don't feel confident about filing bugs.

> Some potential candidates:
>
> 1) Configuring KMail, Mozilla Mail, or Evolution to get and send mail via
> my mail server (IMAPS and Sendmail with AUTH)
>
> 2) Configuring the network to browse the internet, given the IP addresses
> provided by my ISP, using Red Hat's internet configuration tool.
>
> I'm open to other suggestions.

3) Using the supplied mailman and apache configure the lot graphically
(you can't yet we provided all the bits)

There is also a ton of scope for improving error handling from errors
to diagnosis

eg hitting "Print" when no printing is set up ought to tell you this
and if you know the admin pw let you set it up at that point.