spectool v1.0 was: Let us please all stop the whining

Toshio toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Tue Mar 2 16:44:30 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 10:59, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> <what> can be a list of 'all', 'sources', 'patches', 'source0', 'patch5', etc.
> -d, --define 'macro value'    defines RPM macro 'macro' to be 'value'
> -g, --gf, --get-files         gets the sources/patches that are listed
> with
>                               a URL
> -l, --lf, --list-files        lists the expanded sources/patches

Great litle tool.

If you'd like some feedback, the options are not optional whereas the
<what> is.  It would make sense to either make --list-files the default
mode (easy) or else change the usage to be:
spectool [option] <mode> <specfile>
where options are:
--sources --patches --all --sourceN etc
and mode is list-files or get-files (harder because of the dynamic
nature of sourceN)

Does this fit the bill as something that should go into
fedora-rpmdevtool-$TNV?  Then we can add to the (currently non-existent)
non-showstopper checklist "Run the spec through fedora-spectool to make
sure the Sources have current URLs listed and whine politely if they
don't."

(Although that might obscure the fact that people need to manually check
that a Source URL is canonical, not just let spectool download the
sources and assume they're fine....)

-Toshio

--
Toshio <toshio at tiki-lounge.com>