package shepherding

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Thu Mar 4 11:10:08 UTC 2004

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Alexander Larsson wrote:

>> > I tend to not rely on them much. The problem with them is that the
>> > reporter often sets this to what he thinks, which is always high of
>> > course. I've had several people changing it back to high when i've
>> > changed it to a lower priority.
>>
>> Really? Then tell them not to. That should not happen, and the fact that
>> some reporters do this should not stop us from putting these tags (or at
>> least the tag severity) to good use.
>
>Telling someone not to do that sometimes help, but only for that
>particular person. I have better things to do with my extremely limited
>time than educating the whole world about what bugzilla is used for.
>Each time I need to explain bugzilla to someone its time taken from
>fixing other bugs or implementing new features. Its sad, but thats my
>reallity.

Exactly.  The problem with the bugzilla priority field is that
there is no real definition of what "priority" means.  Priority
to WHOM?

Bug reporters generally consider the priority field to mean "what
priority do you want Red Hat to treat this bug as".  That is
almost always never a piece of useful information on the
receiving side however.  Others use the priority field to
indicate "how bad of a problem is this on a scale of 1-3".  That
also isn't really useful information from a developer standpoint,
because we are capable of reading a bug report and deducing on
our own how bad the problem is on a scale of 1-10.

I find it much more useful for the person to explain the problem
clearly in detail, and then perhaps state how important it is to
them in the bug report itself.

That is a nice fantasy, but it will never happen, because each
person is different and does things in their own special way.
Bugzilla is - by definition, a developer/engineer tool first and
foremost, and a user defect submission tool second or third.

What the overwhelming majority of people reporting bugs do not
realize, is that engineers receiving the bug reports, do not sit
in bugzilla 24/7 just fixing bugs.  We have our own workloads,
some of which is developing new software, or developing new
features for existing software, evaluating software, doing
erratum releases, security releases, OS engineering planning,
debugging, troubleshooting, testing, and a whole host of other
tasks.  Our priorities are dependant on all of the tasks that we
have to do within a certain time frame.   So when we look at any
given bug report, the priority of that bug report will not be an
/absolute/ priority, but rather a /relative/ priority.  Relative
that is, compared to all other open bugs, and also weighed
against all other work priorities that have nothing to do with
fixing bugs also.

Initially, I tried to use the priority field in bugzilla to
reflect where a given bug fit in my current task list stacked up
against all other issues.  I flagged issues that I considered to
be things I should investigate ASAP "high priority" and issues
that could wait, or had reasonable workarounds as lower
priorities.  Also, bugs that would consume an entire week of
engineering time, say to fix a single issue that causes Quake 3
to crash, while they may be a high priority to Joe gamer dude,
they're Priority -=10000 from a Red Hat business perspective,
especially since those types of bugs may take a week or two
nonstop to track down and fix.

Since we have finite limited resources, we have absolutely no
choice but to prioritize bugs compared to all other bugs and
tasks, and then work on the absolute most important issues.
Some lesser important things will get fixed along the way which
are very quick fixes, or which patches are available, etc.
There's no real golden rule that applies to all situations of
course, it is a case by case thing.

In 3 years of experience on the receiving end of bug reports, and
having played "bug-priority-tag" with at least one or two people
a month for the first 6-8 months, I realized the priority field
was useless for the purposes that *I* was trying to use it for,
which was to indicate what priority the bug DOES have.

Since the priority field is so useless, I just totally stopped
ever even looking at it period.

Now I examine a bug, request info, etc. and then I add my own
priority tags to the developer whiteboard or other fields, or add
the bug to my personal tracker.  That lets me keep track of a
small reasonable number of issues that are manageable.

One needs to do that because it is impossible to try and manage a
2000 item "TODO" list.