Logrotate RFE (2)

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Thu Mar 4 19:52:43 UTC 2004

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Harry Putnam wrote:

> "Doncho N. Gunchev" <mr700 at globalnet.bg> writes:
>
> > 	- rsync/whatever will save a lot of traffic.
>
> Can you explain this one... Not sure I understand how rsync does more
> or less work either way.

Easy.

If messages.1 becomes messages.2 it means in the next rsync run you have
to send over the whole file again.

So with a weekly schedule it means once a week you need to send all the
rotated files.

on a LAN this does not sound like much but if you happen to do this over
modem links you are not that amused if you could have done this with just
one or two files instead of 5 or ....

Hugo.

    hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org		http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/
	    for they are subtle and quick to anger.