Supported upgrade paths RHEL <-> FC (both now and in the future)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Thu Mar 4 21:51:21 UTC 2004

Hi,

which is Red Hat's policy concerning cross-product/project
upgradability?

o Will upgrading from RHEL to FC be supported (*)?
o Will upgrading from FC to RHEL be supported (*)?
o Will both ways be supported (*)?
o Will it be unsupported, but mostly work?

E.g. will it be possible to place RHEL and FC in a common timeline
like

... < rh9 < RHEL3 < FC1 < FC2 < FC3 < RHEL4 < ...

(*) With supported I don't mean supported as in first, second, third
    support level, I just mean, will it be ensured that RHEL4 have
    rpm-ordered newer rpms than FC3 (just examples from the faked
    timeline above).

The background is a discussion about disttags, which should either
consider RHEL and FC within a common upgrade timeline or consider them
as two separate entities with a common predecessor. If RHEL4 will be a
mix of FC2 and FC3 (or in general RHELX a mix of FCN and FCN-1, ...)
they will certainly be have to be considered separate timelines.

Thanks for any insight ;)
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de