In the service of Aunt Tillie -- Zero-configuration networking

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Sun Mar 7 01:31:30 UTC 2004

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 08:04:50AM -0800, Stuart Cheshire wrote:
> There seem to be two concerns, the trade mark law suit, and the patent.

I dont think that one is a concern in the real world.

> without self-assigned addresses. The part that's still missing is mDNS
> (for local naming without a DNS server) and DNS-SD (for browsing to find
> what's out there). That's what's provided by Apple's Darwin mDNSResponder
> code.

Agreed.

> Eric Raymond wrote, "The inventor of zeroconf, Stuart Cheshire, tells me
> ... he doesn't understand the politics of ... the Linux community".
>
> It's true. I don't. I've worked hard to make a technology that makes

I think you understand more of it than you give credit for. Its not like you
haven't contributed kernel driver code 8)

> possibly manage. If someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong, I'm happy
> to listen.

mDNS lookup is probably a question for the glibc people primarily (ie Ulrich
and friends). Glibc has the resolver routines Linux uses as nss_dns, and other
services via nss_nis (YP) and so on. I assume that what is needed is a matching
nss_mdns for the lookup side of mDNS.

Alan
--
		The clouds are dark, the rain does pour