I want my Galeon back!!!

Jean Francois Martinez jfm512 at free.fr
Mon Mar 8 20:27:43 UTC 2004

The need for Galeon is not as a a browser but because it is the only
quarter decent tool for viewing Gnome help files.  Neither
Mozilla or Epiphany understand the ghelp "protocol" and for yelp
it is an incredible piece of crap.  Start gnumeric and try browsing
its help.  Yelp needed 4 (FOUR) CPU minutes to display something on
a PII/400 and it was not a RAM problem but the stupid thing trying
to parse the entire help hierarchy instead of the root file.  A so
long delay makes Gnumeric as good as if it were undocumented because
the user cannot afford a so long delay.  And
you cannot print from Yelp (PLEASE, don't tell me there is a utility
for printing ghelp files, the user does not see it on the Gnumeric help
men).

I have some users who wanted a spreadsheet running on a Unix platform
and given that StarOffice is too heavy for the machine I thought
Gnumeric was the answer but without a decent help browser I have
had to give up.   Fortunately I had an old Redhat 7.3 (with Galeon)
otherwise I would have had to advise my users to use Excel.

First time Galeon is started it prompts the user for he wants to
use it for displaying gnome-help files (ie the user does not need
to navigate in any config utility).  In addition Galeon displays them
nearly instantaneously AND it can print.

I want my Galeon back!!!!!

--
Jean Francois Martinez <jfm512 at free.fr>