I want my Galeon back!!!

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Tue Mar 9 13:00:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 07:04:04AM -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 12:05:18AM +0100, Jean Francois Martinez wrote:
> > It was a vanilla, out of the box FC1, swapping was nil and there was no
> > other activity.  The four minutes was not elapsed time but CPU time
> > (read through PS).  The help displayed was not the general Gnome index
> > (quite fast) but the Gnumeric one.  While rendering the Gnumeric help
> > yelp polluted my home directory with a lot of html files.   From memory,
> > the box was configured for US/English as default language.
>
> Try Fedora2 Test 1. The docbook to [whatever] convertors are now way way
> faster

  For the people interested, basically the incredible improvements
in yelp between FC1 and FC2 are mostly to the credit of Shaun McCance,
his motto is "Because Documentation Should Kick Ass"
   http://www.gnome.org/~shaunm/yelp/
The improvement came by rewriting from scratch the XSLT stylesheets
used to format the DocBook used for our doc, the original ones from
Norman Walsh are excellent, very complete, but to some extent overengineered
to the point of being terribly slow (which is fine for most processing but
not on-the-fly help formatting). Shaun took the challenge and simply
did it, congrats to him !

Daniel