DVD backups - bug or feature?

Charles Lopes tjarls at iee.lu
Wed Mar 10 15:31:31 UTC 2004

Leonard den Ottolander wrote:

>Hi Charles, Bob,
>

>>>3) Develop a workaround (I already have one)?
>>>

>>You can burn directly your tar file to the DVD and subsequently read it
>>with "tar xjvf /dev/cdrom"
>>

>Some people have reported that this does not work for them. I don't know
>why not, but since people have reported it you should probably check
>that this works for you.
>
>Leonard.

I tried it and it works to some extend. bzip2 dies at the end and in
some cases the last file in the archive is not restored correctly. I've
been padding the tar-bziped file with zeroes up to the next 32kB block
boundary and that seems to work. The restore command still returns an
error at the end but the restored files seem ok, at least in the few
attempts that I made. The same behaviour (tar or bzip2 dying when
reaching the end of the media) seems to happen as well on floppy disks.
Anyway, using ext2 on DVD is probably the way to go for Bob.

Charles