3ware RAID card oddity in 2.6.3-2.1.253smp x86_64

Charles Jones jonescr at cisco.com
Fri Mar 12 02:46:00 UTC 2004

I have an Fedora x86_64 system with a 3ware Escalade 7506-12 card.
When I load the 3w-xxxx.ko module I get the following output:
---snip---
SCSI subsystem initialized
3ware Storage Controller device driver for Linux v1.02.00.037.
scsi0 : Found a 3ware Storage Controller at 0xac00, IRQ: 27, P-chip: 1.3
scsi0 : 3ware Storage Controller
   Vendor: 3ware     Model: Logical Disk 0    Rev: 1.0
   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
   Vendor: 3ware     Model: Logical Disk 1    Rev: 1.0
   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
   Vendor: 3ware     Model: Logical Disk 2    Rev: 1.0
   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
   Vendor: 3ware     Model: Logical Disk 3    Rev: 1.0
   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
   Vendor: 3ware     Model: Logical Disk 4    Rev: 1.0
   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
   Vendor: 3ware     Model: Logical Disk 5    Rev: 1.0
   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
   Vendor: 3ware     Model: Logical Disk 6    Rev: 1.0
   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
   Vendor: 3ware     Model: Logical Disk 7    Rev: 1.0
   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
-----
This is the same output I got with earlier kernels, except this time the
disks are not assigned to SCSI devices.  Is this a known issue? I poked
around on Bugzilla and the only 3ware problems I see are in the 2.4
kernel, and I have no problems with the 2.4 kernel on a 32bit machine.