Speaker

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Sat Mar 13 01:23:05 UTC 2004

Once upon a time, seth vidal <skvidal at phy.duke.edu> said:
> modprobe pcspkr
>
> it's there.
>
> it's goofy.

Why is this a module instead of just built in?

It would be nice to have a reasonable place to add modules during boot
(just adding "modprobe <module>" to /etc/rc.d/rc.local doesn't really
cut it to me).  There are some hard-coded in rc.sysinit, but sometimes
you need others.  In rc.sysinit, there is:

# Load modules (for backward compatibility with VARs)
if [ -f /etc/rc.modules ]; then
        /etc/rc.modules
fi

Is this going to stay?  I'm using this on an RHEL server (I need sg
loaded for tape library control), but the "for backward compatibility"
bit sounds like it could go away at any time.

Some better way of handling modules during boot would also help with the
ACPI modules (so I wouldn't get an error on every boot from the
toshiba_acpi module).  Even something as simple as a flat file that
listed modules to be loaded, one per line, that got processed from
rc.sysinit like:

while read module; do
	insmod $module
done < /etc/boot-modules.conf