'outdated' packages in rawhide

Arkadiusz Miskiewicz arekm at pld-linux.org
Sat Mar 13 23:52:28 UTC 2004

Dnia Saturday 13 of March 2004 23:31, Hugo van der Kooij napisał:

> But if I dedice to package bar and it requires bar 1.3.1 I would use:
> Requires: foo = 1.3.1
> But any user will notice a dependency error like:
> bar-1.2.4 requires foo-1.3.1
> A normal user will shout out some insults to his/her system about this
> stupid error.
Wrong, see below.

> I would need to dig up this epoch number and make a package with:
> Requires: foo = 10:1.3.1
That's correct. I assume that packagers do their job right and put epoch
there.

> But how is a normal user to know how to handle these errors?
Simply, read what rpm wrote on the screen.

> So in my view the Epoch field is a pain to great to inflict normal usees
> with. It breaks dependencies in a way a normal user simply can't
> comprehend because the user will not see the Epoch information anywhere.
User will see Epoch:

error: Failed dependencies:
        foo = 10:1.3.1 is needed by bar-1.2.4-x

It's pain that Epoch stays for ever but I don't think that's a real problem.

Bigger problem is that user needs --oldpackage to upgreade when not using
Epoch in some cases.

--
Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz     CS at FoE, Wroclaw University of Technology
arekm.pld-linux.org, 1024/3DB19BBD, JID: arekm.jabber.org, PLD/Linux