Speaker

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Sun Mar 14 01:43:18 UTC 2004

Once upon a time, Steven Pritchard <steve at silug.org> said:
> On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 07:23:05PM -0600, Chris Adams wrote:
> > In rc.sysinit, there is:
> >
> > # Load modules (for backward compatibility with VARs)
> > if [ -f /etc/rc.modules ]; then
> >         /etc/rc.modules
> > fi
>
> I seem to recall that comment has been there since around Red Hat
> 3.0.3, but I could be imagining things.  (And I can't verify this,
> because the old versions seem to have disappeared from the FTP site.)

I just happen to have a set of 3.0.3 CDs sitting here (I think I have
every release back to 3.0.3, with quite a few test releases in between),
so I checked.

You are right, the comment hasn't changed.  However, there is a
difference: the 3.0.3 version uses /etc/rc.d/rc.modules instead of just
/etc/rc.modules.  Not much backward compatibility there, is it! :-)

Boy, looking into an old RPM is not easy.  RPM 4.2 won't read an RPM v2
package, and my shell script version of rpm2cpio choked on it as well.
I still have a (non-Linux) system running RPM 4.0, and it could still
read it.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>