RPM hacking.

Aleksey Nogin aleksey at nogin.org
Thu Mar 18 01:44:55 UTC 2004

On 17.03.2004 17:27, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

>> The current set of options which can be "short-circuit"'ed are fine.
>> However, from a security perspective, I would be very bothered by an
>> easy method of creating binary rpms which could not be rebuilt by the
>> source rpm.
>

> Again: nobody wants to distribute the binary RPMs.
>
> This for hacking/debugging only.
>
> Say that I'm trying to chase down a kernel bug.  I have the kernel
> source rpm unpacked and compiled in BUILD.
>
> I'd like to be able to play with the kernel source, make small changes,
> and be able to quickly build installable kernel RPMs for testing
> purposes, instead of waiting two fscking hours to rebuild the whole
> bloody mess from scratch all because of a one or a two-line change.

I agree. As long as the short-circuited binary RPM has the correct
"Source RPM" field value (e.g. something like "short-circuited") this
should not create any problems even if the short-circuited RPM is
accidentally (or maliciously) distributed.

--
Aleksey Nogin

Home Page: http://nogin.org/
E-Mail: nogin at cs.caltech.edu (office), aleksey at nogin.org (personal)
Office: Jorgensen 70, tel: (626) 395-2907