H.323 gatekeeper on FC1?

Charles Lopes tjarls at iee.lu
Thu Mar 18 09:14:40 UTC 2004

Russell Coker wrote:

>On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 08:54, Hugo van der Kooij <hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org>
>wrote:
>

>>Is someone working on a H.323 gatekeeper that compiles (and works) on FC1
>>and higher and make it packageable?
>>

>Long term programs that provide similar functionality with SIP will be of more
>use.  I expect SIP to totally replace H.323 in the near future...

A bit off topic but I wouldn't count on H.323 dispearing any time soon.
I would love if it did but at the moment most (if not all)
videoconferencing equipment on the market is actually for H.320. Most of
them support H.323 as well. Some PBX have H.323<->H.320 gateway
capability. I don't see companies throwing away all that expensive
hardware they have been investing on for the last 10 years. Plus they
will keep forcing other companies to use H.323/H.320 with them as they
do now. I'd say H.323 will disapear shortly after the Odette/VDA
protocols get replaced by XML EDI. That's another one I've been waiting
to see "replaced in the near future" for 6 years now.