Attract QA'ers (was: Re: k3b fedora.us reviews or new maintainer wanted!)

Aurelien Bompard gauret at free.fr
Thu Mar 18 12:11:07 UTC 2004

> How about a Fedora QA day? To
> - get packages reviewed and published
> - help new people get familiar with the process

YES !
By the way, we discussed earlier on this list the possiblity to categorize
the submitted packages:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-February/msg00456.html
http://www.fedora.us/pipermail/fedora-devel/2003-December/002388.html

Did this happen ? It would be very useful IMHO.

The lenght of the QA queue is a little scary for a new QA'er, and it is not
easy to find something you have interest in. I personnaly only look at
package which have changed status in the last 14 days, and that's already a
lot.
I know we have already discussed this on this list, but what has been done
to make it easier for the new QA'ers ?
The QA Checklist has been improved, and Erik has come up with a
fedora-startqa script which looks interesting. (I've also made this kind of
script for my personal use, but it's just a shell script, mail me if you're
interested)

As an proposal, I think QA'ers should make sure they set the NEEDSWORK
keyword and remove the QA keyword when they think the package should be
improved. This would reduce the queue, and make it "cleaner" : 100% of the
packages in the queue would be waiting for QA, while it is not the case
right now.
The wiki is not clear on the keyword NEEDSWORK, and I think the only
explanations are in the bugzilla description and in the list archives
(http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-devel-list/2003-November/msg00698.html).

Any ideas ?

Aurelien
http://gauret.free.fr   ~~~~   Jabber : gauret at amessage.info
"As we enjoy great advantages from inventions of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours ; and
this we should do freely and generously." -- Benjamin Franklin