k3b fedora.us reviews or new maintainer wanted!

Michael Schwendt ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de
Thu Mar 18 17:37:06 UTC 2004

Hi Mihai and Rex!

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 06:48:20 -0600 (CST), Rex Dieter wrote:

> I volunteer to maintain the k3b package.  I'm already maintaining the
> package for the kde-redhat project.  Throwing it at the fedora.us queue
> won't be too much more work.

It doesn't matter to me who maintains the package (might be different for
you, if you want to get credits) provided that the package builds and
works. I think mine does. Yet this particular update request has never
seen more than one review at once since 2003-12-04 (version 0.10.3, now
we're at v0.11.6). So, I see myself unable to get fixes published
(e.g. the desktop integration to make it work when installed from within
GNOME on rh9 and fc1).

That it can be more difficult to package for fedora.us, e.g. due to
missing mp3 support and building for multiple platforms from a single
src.rpm or trying to make it co-exist with "Arson", is another
matter. I've solved the mp3 and KDE 3.1/3.2 issues with conditional code,
so e.g. building an mp3 plugin package for rpm.livna.org is trivial,
albeit makes the spec file more ugly. The alternative would be to build
for "livna" only.

Justin M. Forbes has mentioned that k3b might be included with fc2, maybe
in test3, with the i18n files merged. If that happened, fedora.us k3b
maintainance would be reduced to fc1 and rh9.