Attract QA'ers (was: Re: k3b fedora.us reviews or new maintainer wanted!)

Erik LaBianca erik at totalcirculation.com
Thu Mar 18 21:54:02 UTC 2004

> Lowering the bar to one untrusted reviewer would be extremely
dangerous.
>   One aspect of the seemingly tough QA process has been to keep out a
> lot of crap software, or crappily packaged software.  I would be more
> comfortable with people like you who have tried extremely hard, but
not
> someone brand new to the project and a complete unknown to me.

I agree with you 100%. I think that the process as it stands needs some
refinement, and then should be ratified as policy. We also need to
create, complete and / or document the tools needed to make the process
as easy as possible.

At that point, we can go out and heavily recruit QA volunteers. The
process is too complicated as of yet to do this, IMO.

> NOTE: BELOW IS CURRENTLY ONLY WHAT I PERSONALLY HAVE IN MIND RIGHT
NOW.
>   PLEASE COMMENT.

<MONSTER SNIP>

I like your plan. I like it a lot. I like it enough not to have any
significant objections to it. I like the 4-tier hierarchy, and
especially the exception criteria made for packages languishing in QA
for 2 months. The question that remains is WHEN?! I think fedora extra
would greatly benefit from the shot in the arm provided by the official
redhat integration, and the formalized structure you outlined.

You don't explicitly outline what sort of QA requirements would be in
place for the different tiers, but I'd like to suggest that 2 anonymous
reviews or a single "trusted" review be enough to push out a package,
particularly in the case of updates.

--erik