Attract QA'ers

Ralf Corsepius corsepiu at faw.uni-ulm.de
Sun Mar 21 18:06:12 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 18:16, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
> Hello Ralf,
>
> > > The question is, whether it would be worth to begin such an implementation
> > > for fedora.us or if it would be wasted time since it conflicts with Red
> > > Hat's ideas about the Fedora Project.
>
> > Frankly speaking, I don't expect anybody but RH to be able to implement
> > an alternative user interface to QA or clearly structured QA model for
> > various reasons ;)
>
> Could you explain why you think so?

OK, I realize my sentence can be misunderstood.

>  I think the whole QA approach at
> Fedora US is something they invented, not Red Hat. So why wouldn't
> people other than Red Hat be able to implement such an interface?

Let me emphasize: I do think a new/better user interface is desperately
needed, otherwise the package QA situation will not improve. Worse, IMO
the current situation is driving people away.

Therefore, I think something needs to be done and be implemented in
short terms - But who will do it?

If these problems had been a problem to the "current fedora.us gang", I
would have expectect them to already have done something about it.
However, as it seems to me, these problems don't seem to be actual
problems to them, probably because they already are "into it" or "too
close to it".

Who else has all the knowledge on fedora.us's infrastructure to
implement such UI and who else has "the will and time" to actually lunch
such a development, rsp. who has the standing to "make such a
development be accepted" by all parties?

IMHO, if Red Hat is really interested in Fedora.Us to become
Fedora-Extras/Legacy and to become a success, they should step in and
actively develop a prototype or at least guide/actively participate to
such development.

Otherwise I would not be surprised to see a community driven development
to get lost in discussions on policies, politics, bureaucracy, clashes
of egos, implementation details etc. etc. and the first prototype to be
ready Christmas 2006. IMO, this can't be in anybody's interest.

Ralf