X11 and WinKey [was Re: Updating to xorg-x11 packages?]

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Tue Mar 23 08:47:32 UTC 2004

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:

>Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 09:14:31 +0100
>From: Felipe Alfaro Solana <felipe_alfaro at linuxmail.org>
>To: Development discussions related to Fedora Core
>    <fedora-devel-list at redhat.com>
>Subject: X11 and WinKey [was Re: Updating to xorg-x11 packages?]
>
>On Tue, 2004-03-23 at 07:42, Eric Hattemer wrote:
>
>> Another fun 'growing pain' is that /usr/X11R6/lib magically disapears
>> from /etc/ld.so.conf.  That was a fun one to figure out.
>
>It's fixed in latest xorg-x11 packages:

s/fixed/attempted to fix/.....   the problem is still present.
2 people have suggested using rpm triggers to solve this problem.
Triggers are a risky business on their own however which can end
up creating problems days/weeks/months down the road that are
completely impossible to cleanly fix.  Not that a trigger can't
be done correctly the first time and not have any problems, but
rather that experience of my own, and that of others has shown
that triggers are very tricky and statistically are not bug free
the first time around, leading to bigger problems that only
manifest in future upgrades, and aren't bypassable automatically.

As such, I'd like to avoid adding triggers at all costs.

Altogether, this leaves 3 alternate scenarios that I can
think of:

1) Let anaconda or something else fix it during the OS
   upgrade cycle, via voodoo magic.

2) Use rpm triggers with no guarantee of it actually fixing it,
   and no way to 100% predict the future, along with all of the
   associated risks of using triggers.

Downside to #1 is that users upgrading manually using rpm -Uvh,
or via up2date, yum, apt will have a one time growing pain during
the transition from XFree86 to xorg-x11.  Solution #1 is what we
probably would have done in any previous OS release to play
things safe.

Downside to #2 is the risks involved with triggers, that have
shown again and again repeatedly in almost every rpm package that
has ever used them, that triggers are very hard to get right, and
to predict all the possible ways the script might get called in
the future.  They're notoriously hard to test in advance also,
but once they're out in the wild, if a bug is found, then users
are essentially screwed until they've upgraded at least 2 times.

Again, I'm very hesitant to use rpm triggers, but at this point
nothing is ruled out yet.  I'm open to suggestions.

--
Mike A. Harris       ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer - X.org X11 maintainer - Red Hat