X11 and WinKey [was Re: Updating to xorg-x11 packages?]

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Tue Mar 23 09:46:58 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 23 March 2004 6:47 pm, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
> >Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 09:14:31 +0100
<snip>
> Downside to #1 is that users upgrading manually using rpm -Uvh,
> or via up2date, yum, apt will have a one time growing pain during
> the transition from XFree86 to xorg-x11.  Solution #1 is what we
> probably would have done in any previous OS release to play
> things safe.

this is how i upgraded to xorg from XFree86  i ran rpm -qa XFree86* > xlist
then made the xlist file a bash script to do rpm -e --nodeps on each pacakge
then once done i ran up2date xorg*  once all installed i ran init 1 then init
5 and all worked as expected  and i moved to xorg early in the piece.
i did rebuild ttmkfdir so that it didnt want XFree86-libs >4.2.99 i think it
was but thats since been fixed

maybe we just say to thouse using these methods to upgrade you do something
like that and make sure anaconda handles things for install that way

Dennis