policy on library packages

Aurelien Bompard gauret at free.fr
Tue Mar 23 10:07:02 UTC 2004

Hi all

I can't find the policy regarding library (sub-)packages. I am packaging a
digital camera program for KDE called DigiKam (#1404). This package can use
a plugins package for more features: digikamplugins (#1406). Thus,
digikamplugins depends on libdigikam.so. But then, an image viewer for KDE
called ShowImg (#1410) can also use digikam's plugins. In the end, we have
an image viewer depending on a digital camera manager. This could be fixed
by splitting libdigikam out of the main package, but it looks like it is
rarely done in the Fedora distribution. Is there a policy regarding this
kind of situation (I'm sure it is neither the only nor the fist time this
happens) ? Is there a general policy as regards to sub-packages, and to
library packages ?

Thanks

Aurélien
http://gauret.free.fr   ~~~~   Jabber : gauret at amessage.info
"As we enjoy great advantages from inventions of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours ; and
this we should do freely and generously." -- Benjamin Franklin