What is the problem with the mirrors?

John Ellson ellson at research.att.com
Tue Mar 23 15:47:49 UTC 2004

Noa Resare wrote:

>tis 2004-03-23 klockan 16.03 skrev Jakub Jelinek:

>>>i386
>>>
>>>ibiblio doesn't have any rpmdb
>>>
>>>kernel.org has rpmdb for March 19, but not March 22.
>>>
>>>duke seems to have died altogether
>>>
>>>redhat mirrors are impossible to log into this morning
>>>

>>If you want i386, then
>>{ftp,http}://sunsite.mff.cuni.cz/pub/fedora/development/
>>has everything up to and including March 22. Ditto ia64.
>>Other arches are not 100% up2date though, since the current download
>>speed from master is not very good and if you have ~ 35GB of
>>constantly changing rawhide...
>>

>I think it's obvious from this that development/rawhide should be
>distribtuted independently from the released fredora trees. Having
>stable updates distribution being delayed for days because all mirrors
>are busy downloading contless gigabyes of development updates to
>architectures very few uses seems like a problem that should get some
>priority in fixing.
>
>With numerous well connected mirrors as well as lots of bandwith to the
>master site there should be no problem creating a rock solid fast
>mirroring system with a little work.
>
>/noa

I guess I don't see the need to separate.  If the mirroring system was
able to handle the large number
of development updates in a timely fashion then it would presumably have
little problem with a small
number of stable-release updates.

The problem as I understand it is with the master server(s) that supply
private/prioritized access to the mirrors.

John