X11 and WinKey [was Re: Updating to xorg-x11 packages?]

Barry K. Nathan barryn at pobox.com
Tue Mar 23 18:59:43 UTC 2004

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 04:24:10AM -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
> #1 need not be limited to anaconda.  It could also be a super special
> case that apt, yum and up2date handle because it is extremely rare but
> important.

There's lots of other special case stuff handled by anaconda. (Installing
the gnome-session RPM when upgrading from GNOME 1.x to 2.x is the one
that comes to mind most easily.) Maybe there should be some kind of
pre-upgrade/post-upgrade scripts which the admin can run manually
before/after running apt, yum or up2date. That would be *MUCH* cleaner
than putting it straight into apt/yum/up2date.

(Maybe I'll try to write these scripts. I may not have time for a few
days however.)

> #2 triggers MAY not be a bad thing if the implemntation is good, and
> unlikely to introduce any security related problem.  What specific
> concerns do you have about triggers in this case?

Speaking for myself and not for Mike: If a user has run "chkconfig xfs
off" or the equivalent, and that gets undone by a trigger when XFree86
is replaced by xorg-x11 (e.g. xfs startup is re-enabled), does that
count as a security-related problem? That's the closest thing I can
think of right now, with my implementation of xorg-x11 triggers (see
attachment 98747 to bug 118448).

-Barry K. Nathan <barryn at pobox.com>