What is the problem with the mirrors?

Dan Goodes dang at planetmirror.com
Tue Mar 23 22:47:10 UTC 2004

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 at 16:34, Noa Resare wrote:

> I think it's obvious from this that development/rawhide should be
> distribtuted independently from the released fredora trees. Having
> stable updates distribution being delayed for days because all mirrors
> are busy downloading contless gigabyes of development updates to
> architectures very few uses seems like a problem that should get some
> priority in fixing.

I've had a setup that fetches "released" updates for the core tree
separately from the development tree, for some time (that is, one sync
that runs for /pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/ and a separate tree that
runs for /pub/fedora/linux/core/development/ at different times).

It helps to a degree, but I agree with the many posts on this thread that
something maybe "up" with redhat/fedora's "priority access" setup. It's
difficult to get good speeds at the best of times, and at release times
(such as next monday/tuesday when -test2 is released) it's nigh-on
_impossible_ to get anything decent from the master server/s. I usually
end up talking with other well-connected mirrors to get IP-based access to
their mirrors so I can have the release before it's announced.

> With numerous well connected mirrors as well as lots of bandwith to the
> master site there should be no problem creating a rock solid fast
> mirroring system with a little work.

Sure - and for what it's worth, the RedHat / Fedora mirroring system is
among the most solid that I'm involved with.

Regards,

Dan Goodes  :  Systems Programmer  :  dang at planetmirror.com

Help support PlanetMirror - Australia's largest Internet archive
by signing up for PlanetMirror Premium : http://planetmirror.com